Storage Solutions for Roommates
Posted in Uncategorized on August 9, 2016
Making a decision to move in with another person is a big step, especially if that person is a romantic partner and you have decided to live together. While the initial decision to live together is a big step, another very important step is going to be determining which personal effects will blend well together and which may need to be gotten rid of or placed in storage. If you are planning to move in with a friend or romantic partner, keep these tips in mind to help you make decisions on what to keep, what to toss and even what to store for later use.
- Make a list of appliances, furniture and accessories that each of you own and then discuss which to use. If you both have a toaster or microwave it only makes sense to bring one to the home that you will be sharing. Unless the appliances or other furnishings have great value, whether financially or sentimentally, you may want to donate things to charity or even have a pre-moving yard sale to make a little extra cash for items that you will no longer need.
- Make sure your personal taste in furnishings or accessories as well as wall colors and other decorative items do not clash. If you own earth tone furnishings and you enjoy calmness in and around the home and your partner enjoys bright fluorescents or neon colors and flashy furnishings, you will need to come to a compromise on what each of you can accept as well as what is completely unacceptable. This should be done well before the move so there will be no surprises when things are being hauled in to the new home.
- Whether it is a painting, a vase or even a candy dish, you need to make a purchase together to combine your taste in something that will be memorable that you can both enjoy.
- Pets are a huge consideration when moving in with someone. If you have a dog and your partner is allergic to dogs or they only like cats, you may find yourself in a dilemma trying to decide whether to adopt the pet out or leave the partnership.
- There will be many items that both of you will want to hold onto for reasons that only you may know and it can be sentimental reasons such as a family heirloom handed down from one generation to the next, or it may be something that was very expensive and you do not want to lose yet it will not blend well with the new home settings. In cases such as this, obtaining a storage unit is going to be a wise decision. Storage units are usually affordable and you can often rent one month to month or even by paying in advance for a long term unit. This way, you won’t need to worry about losing important items and if you plan to move again in the future, you can rest assured that your belongings will be safe and sound waiting on you to pick them up.
When you need safe and secure storage be sure to fill out the contact form and a member of the storage team with Santa Cruz Storage will be in touch shortly to let you know all about Santa Cruz Storage options.